Members: Rod Conrad (Chair), Marj Ericson, Sue Julien, Aggie Woolsey, Erin Selles, David Peters, Wes Burdick, Dave Gartrell, Shirley Bond
Key Role: Servants
Key Verse: I Timothy 3: 8-13
Key Word: Relational
Key Question: How are we doing?
Responsible for: Providing practical assistance, encouragement, accountability and direction to enhance church health
Responsible to: The Lead Pastor
Purpose: To prayerfully oversee and promote the spiritual health of the congregation
I Timothy 3: 8-13: Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons. In the same way, their wives' are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything. A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well. Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
Please note: We believe that the Biblical offices of deacon and elder are open to both men and women. We understand the Biblical prohibitions to be essentially cultural in orientation.
Spiritual Giftedness: mercy, compassion, teaching, hospitality, wisdom
1. SCRIPTURE - For whatever task or activity the specific board engages in, there must be a clear and agreed upon Biblical mandate to undergird and direct their work (Psalm 119: 105).
2. LAW- Every activity the board engages in or endorses must be in accordance with the laws of our land. We cannot condone or ignore any activity which is contrary to the law (Romans 13: 1-6).
3. PURPOSE - Every activity and decision of the board must be in keeping with the stated purpose of the board. No board should engage in decision-making or activities outside of the parameters of its purpose (Proverbs 19: 21).
1. Spiritual health: The Deacons will prayerfully oversee and promote the spiritual health of the church family.
2. Serve: The Deacons will serve by attending to the practical and spiritual needs of the congregation.
3. Support: The Deacons will provide practical assistance to the Lead Pastor and other staff as required.
4. Relationships: The Deacons will provide encouragement and promote the building and restoration of relationships.
5. Confidentiality: The Deacons will maintain confidentiality.
6. Consensus: The Deacons will strive for consensus in making decisions.
7. Unity: The Deacons will operate as a united group amongst themselves and to the congregation.
The Deacons Board Member:
1. Cannot be a new believer
2. Cannot be related to pastoral staff
3. Must be able to demonstrate active involvement in the church
4. Must demonstrate spiritual maturity
5. Must be a baptized member
6. Must be supportive of the Lead Pastor
Board Membership: The Deacons Board will consist of 4-10 members who are affirmed by the congregation. They are directly responsible to the Lead Pastor and are expected to work in harmony with the other ministry boards.
Length of Term: Members will be affirmed for a 3-year term, and may be affirmed to serve additional consecutive terms.