Members: Ken Kunka (Chair), Travis Bond (Secretary), Austin Ojala, David Goertzen, Amanda Brown, Kayt Mahon, Maged Said
Key Role: Overseers
Key Verse: 1 Timothy 3:1-7, I Peter 5:2-3
Key Word: Directional
Key Question: Where are we going?
Responsible to: The congregation
Purpose: The Leadership Board will monitor and guide SBC's progress and vision.
I Peter 5: 2-3: Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.
I Timothy 3: 1-7: Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap.
Please note: We believe that the Biblical offices of deacon and elder are open to both men and women. We understand the Biblical prohibitions to be essentially cultural in orientation.
Spiritual Giftedness: wisdom, discernment, administration, leadership
1. PRAYER: The Board is expected to be in prayer for the church and to make every decision in an atmosphere of prayer and reliance on the Lord.
2. CONSENSUS: The Board is expected to strive for and operate by consensus in all decisions.
3. CONFIDENTIALITY: The Board is expected to maintain confidentiality on all issues that are agreed to be confidential.
4. UNITY: The Board is expected to operate as a united group and to speak with one voice to the congregation.
5. PROGRESS: The Board is expected to make decisions that reflect progress toward our vision and mission.
6. SUPPORT: The Leadership Board is expected to be supportive of the Lead Pastor.
1. SCRIPTURE For whatever task or activity the specific board engages in, there must be a clear and agreed upon Biblical mandate to undergird and direct their work (Psalm 119: 105).
2. LAW Every activity the board engages in or endorses must be in accordance with the laws of our land. We cannot condone or ignore any activity which is contrary to the law (Romans 13: 1-6).
3. PURPOSE Every activity and decision of the board must be in keeping with the stated purpose of the board. No board should engage in decision-making or activities outside of the parameters of its purpose (Proverbs 19: 21).
The Leadership Board will be responsible for:
1. Reviewing Church Governance annually
2. Setting policies for SBC
3. Annually reviewing and reporting to the congregation regarding progress on SBC's Vision and Mission
4. Monitoring SBC's finances and budget
5. An annual review of Lead Pastor(s)
6. Commissioning and overseeing a Search Committee tasked with seeking a new Lead Pastor
7. Maintaining the legal status of the society
Board Membership: The Leadership Board will consist of seven church members, who are affirmed by the church membership, plus the Co-Lead Pastor(s) (non-voting). All members of the Leadership Board shall be members of Summerland Baptist Church and shall be affirmed with a minimum 75% approval by the members attending the Annual General Meeting of Summerland Baptist Church.
Length of Term: Leadership Board members may serve up to a maximum of 2 consecutive 3-year terms if supported by the Nominating Committee and affirmed by the church membership.
Revised: April 10, 2019