Members: Rob Duncan (Chair), Warren Julien, Dan Virgint, David Widdis, Sue Brown, Colin Fitzpatrick
Key Role: Mission Support and Awareness
Key Verse: Matthew 28: 19-20, Luke 10: 27-29, 37
Key Word: Supportive
Key Question: Are we being faithful and effective to reach our world with the Good News of Jesus Christ?
Responsible for: Praying, supporting, raising awareness, discerning, managing allocated church resources and implementing a plan to see SBC become more effective at reaching the local community and the globe through global ministries.
Responsible to: The Lead Pastor
Purpose: The Missions/Outreach Board will oversee our ministry of evangelism and service in accordance with SBC's vision.
Matthew 28: 19 & 20: Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."
Luke 10: 27-29, & 37: He answered, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbour as yourself.'" "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbour?" The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him." Jesus told him,"Go and do likewise."
Spiritual Giftedness: Faith, Evangelism, wisdom, giving and administration.
1. SCRIPTURE- For whatever task or activity the specific board engages in, there must be a clear and agreed upon Biblical mandate to under gird and direct their work (Psalm 119: 105).
2. LAW- Every activity the board engages in or endorses must be in accordance with the laws of our land. We cannot condone or ignore any activity which is contrary to the law (Romans 13:1-6).
3. PURPOSE- Every activity and decision of the board must be in keeping with the stated purpose of the board. No board should engage in decision making or activities outside of the parameters of its purpose (Proverbs 9:21).
Guiding Principles & Responsibilities:
The Missions/Outreach Board will:
1. Prayerfully develop a plan for SBC's missions/outreach in accordance with our vision.
2. Oversee and guide SBC's ministry of evangelism and service.
3. Set principles and policies for missions/outreach.
4. Measure the effectiveness and evaluate SBC's missions/outreach efforts.
5. Prioritize and approve individual `missions/outreach projects and efforts.
6. Will implement strategies to enable SBC to effectively reach out to the community and the world.
The Missions/Outreach Board member:
1. Must be able to demonstrate active involvement in the church.
2. Must support for the vision of the church.
3. Must support mission work through prayer and faithful giving.
4. Must work in harmony with the other ministry boards and the lead pastor.
5. The Chair must be a member of the church.
Board Membership: The Board will consist of an affirmed chair and four other appointed members.
Length of Term: The Chair will be affirmed for a 3-year term and may be affirmed to serve additional consecutive terms. The Board Members may be appointed for a 3-year term and may be appointed to serve additional consecutive terms.