We are looking for a proactive, efficient Church Custodian who possesses an understanding of proper cleaning methods and a respect for the religious and cultural beliefs of others. The Church Custodian will ensure that all publicly accessible areas of the church are clean and ready for other staff members and the congregation to use. You will make minor repairs, change light bulbs, vacuum, sweep, scrub floors, sanitize surfaces and restock items, such as toilet paper, paper towels, and other supplies. You will also maintain supply inventory, submit purchase requests and assist with preparations for events, such as weddings or funerals.
To be successful you should be observant, respectful, motivated and committed to providing church members, visitors, and staff with a clean, orderly place to worship and gather. You should also be knowledgeable about proper chemical handling and cleaning techniques and have the ability to make basic repairs, including plumbing and electrical work.
- Maintain clean church facilities by performing weekly duties and daily spot cleaning in all public areas of the building, including:
1. Bathrooms, - clean daily
2. Sanctuary - vacuum floor weekly, pews monthly
3. Foyer - vacuum weekly, shampoo 4 times per year, spot clean as required
4. Hallways - vacuum daily, shampoo 2 times per year
5. Kitchens - tidy and clean daily as needed
6. Fireside Room - vacuum daily, shampoo 2 times per year
7. Gymnasium - dry mop as needed, wet mop weekly
8. Offices - vacuum daily
9. Gymnasium Storage Rooms - clean out, vacuum and wet mop yearly
10. Garbage – contact garbage service for pick up as required
11. Fire Prevention – submit monthly fire report, oversee fire inspection schedule
12. Sight inspection of attic areas and mezzanine
13. Exterior - clean sidewalks and pick up loose debris around the Church and Hunt Street property
- clear snow near doorways as needed. De-ice walkways and sidewalks as needed.
14. Clean and fill the baptismal tank with water as needed. Drain and clean tank after use. Keep the upper area around the baptistry secure and tidy.
15. Attend monthly Operations Board Meeting
- Work with volunteers and church staff to ensure that all areas are cleaned and stocked with necessary items
- Perform maintenance, such as changing light bulbs and restocking bathrooms, dusting, and making repairs
- Assist with event preparations and clean up.
- Take inventory of cleaners and other supplies and submitting requests or ordering when items need to be replenished
- Interact with church staff and visitors in a respectful, positive manner
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Custodial experience is desirable
- Understanding of cleaning techniques and safety procedures
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- A Criminal Record check must be completed every 4 years
- Strong communication, comprehension, and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to adjust their schedule to suit the needs of the church
- Motivation to work independently or with others to provide thorough, efficient custodial services to the church
Applications will be accepted until June 22, 2018. Proposed start date is July 1, 2018.