Serving Up Meals With Love
Every day…. It’s relentless; it’s important; it’s laborious; it’s fulfilling for some but tedious for others; it’s life giving; it’s lifelong; it’s expensive; it’s for everyone, of all generations, of all cultures… Every day… Hundreds of days… Thousands of days… Sigh! Any ideas on what “it” is?
Yup… Meals. We all have to eat, right?
Have you ever thought … “Oh dear, I have to make supper!” or “Sigh, what am I going to make for dinner tonight?”
Some of you are mystified by those comments because meal preparation is a pleasant and much anticipated part of your day. That’s amazing! What a gift you have!
Yup, we all have to eat. But for some who are facing illness, a new baby, surgery, loss, financial crisis, moving… (the list goes on), the very thought of preparing yet another meal is monumental and often the last thing a person feels like doing. But, again, WE ALL HAVE TO EAT! In the face of crisis and stress, our bodies need nutrition and strength.
But equally importantly, people need to know that someone cares. That in itself is healing, life giving, strength giving and a powerful and practical way of showing someone the love of Jesus.
You know the saying... the way to someone’s heart is through their stomach!
We at SBC now have TWO opportunities to touch someone’s heart (by filling their stomach):
1. TAKE THEM A MEAL MINISTRY – Thanks to all who are presently volunteering to take a meal to someone in need. Want to join us? Just “sign up” at the HUB (in church foyer) and when a need arises, you will receive an email with a schedule of dates and a description of who, dietary needs, where and when a meal is required. Pop your name into the schedule and you are halfway there. One time, one meal but a HUGE BLESSING. You will receive a reminder the day before. You choose the meal you want to prepare or… just buy a pizza. Keep it simple… drop it off, maybe even give a quick hug and you are off. Click here for more information about Take Them A Meal.
2. EMERGENCY FREEZER MEALS – Take a peek at our new upright freezer in the downstairs kitchen (see photos below). IT’S AMAZING and already has some “one time only” freezer meals ready to go to someone in our church family or community who needs a nutritional boost that very day.
Needless to say, this needs to be managed well so that we have a steady supply of “food safe” meals on hand. If you need a meal, or know someone who is in need, please read the procedure on the freezer (very simple), CLICK HERE, or call our church office (250-494-3881).
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
1. Let us know of people who are in need of a one time nutritional boost.
2. Do you love to drive? We could use some names of people who are willing and able to deliver meals to folks who cannot drive.
3. Pray – ask Jesus to bring to mind those who are in need of a meal then give them a call, an email or text. CLICK HERE for info on how to arrange for the meal. It’s that easy!
Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10
If you have any questions, feel free to ask one of our coordinators: Gail Hunt, Vida Jones, Vonda Parker, Yvonne Said, Pat Gartrell and Pam Borchert.